08 July 2007

Compiling Gnucash 2.1.5 on Slackware 12.0

No more Ubuntu for me! Too many of my favorite applications (Claws-mail, Pybliographer, Gnucash) ran much better on Gnome, and so I could not switch completely over to Slackware. After much fighting, I think I have what I want now. Claws-mail was the easiest to get working . . . I think Slackware repositories had most of what I needed. I still don't have Pybliographer, but Kbibtex compiled after adding a patch, so the only thing left to do was fix Gnucash. It was hard, but not as hard as I expected. I compiled the required bits of Gnome (plus a couple other things), and that was that: a complete Gnome installation is totally unnecessary, and Gnucash looks great under XFCE or KDE. This list is probably not quite complete, but a useful desktop system probably has most other dependencies (mine did, after all). Unless otherwise noted, I compiled the newest version supplied by gnome.org, available as of 7 July 2007. From Slackware depositories pcre From gnome.org libbonobo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libbonobo-activation.la /usr/lib/libbonobo-activation.la ln -s /usr/local/lib/libbonobo-2.la /usr/lib/libbonobo-2.la ORBit ln -s /usr/local/lib/libORBitCosNaming-2.la /usr/lib/libORBitCosNaming-2.la ln -s /usr/local/lib/libORBit-2.la /usr/lib/lorbORBit-2.la gconf ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgconf-2.la /usr/lib/libgconf-2.la libgnome libbonoboui gnome-keyring libgnomecanvas ln -s /usr/local/lib/libcairo.la /usr/lib/libcairo.la gail gtkhtml-3.x (not the 1.x package that Slackware provides) libgnomeprint goffice Then Gnucash will ./configure && make, sudo make install as hoped. I realize that the symbolic links are not the proper and elegant way to do things; I did eventually add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf, but the procedure given above got me running. Still no Pybliographer, though, but I think Kbibtex is probably worth giving a try, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home