27 February 2010

Goddamn it, BSD

I can't help but quit you. I want to admire how BSD works and fits together, but damn it, shit doesn't work. True believers can tell me that I don't know what I'm doing, and perhaps they're right, but I've now installed OpenBSD three times and NetBSD once. NetBSD is okay, but not superior to Linux on my laptop, and not usable on this computer; OpenBSD is unreliable on the laptop and unpleasant to use on this iMac G5. From what I can gather, no BSD is appropriate for my netbook. Quo fucking vadis? I want to try this OS, but I can't justify using it if it is obviously inferior.

2 Comments:

Blogger beowuff said...

Here's a suggestion. Instead of buying random hardware and expecting ANY OS to run well on it, pick you OS first. Then buy the hardware that will run it. That will help ANY OS run better.

11:21 AM  
Blogger CircularFile said...

That is fascinating advice. OpenBSD has been advertising its alleged g5 support for years. NetBSD has advertised its promiscuous support since forever.

I realize that g5 Macs are not common, but they hardly are "random hardware." If BSD wants to be non-GPL Slackware, well, good luck with that.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home